Thursday, November 18, 2010

Apology to the readers

Hello followers of this blog.

I apologize profusely for my lack of attention to your needs regarding the reception of information. Please accept my sincerest regret and determination to pick up the slack that has been laid before you.

Now if all my posts were written that way, I'm certain none but the avid and forgiving Austen reader would read these posts.

I have a topic I wish to discuss with all of you that is journalism related but not necessarily class related. Why then, do I post it here and not on my other blog? Because the readers here, I hope, are just as involved in the journalism community as I am and would be able to help me understand this topic in greater depth.

There has been some talk in the world about the direction journalism is taking. Many people don't trust the media anymore. In a recent stream of political cartoons emailed to me by my dear grandpa, many pointed out, not only the corruption of the government, but the hand media has in that corruption. Now this disturbs me. Political cartoons generally portray what the public wants to hear. If media is being lumped in with a corrupt government, we certainly are not doing our job correctly. It is accurate in almost every sense, seeing as the media is supposed to give the power of knowledge to the people. Journalism is often quoted to be the fourth branch of government.

Maybe I'm getting defensive about my future profession but it seems there is a need for restructure. Now I know what you regular readers must be thinking, "She preaches an awful lot about laissez-faire and letting journalism evolve on it's own." I'm not suggesting a total overhaul of the system. I'm saying there needs to be a renewed vigor toward transparency and loyalty to the citizen. It is not enough to be loyal, the public needs to know our loyalty.

There is my short and sweet soap box. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! So many people HATE the media today because they think that we are biased and unfair. And lots of news stations are that way. For example, FOX news is very biased and hates the left side of the government.....so every democrat in the world hates FOX. I think it is important to remember that FOX is technically "news," but it has a bias. As I proceed into the world of journalism, I will try hard to be unbiased and fair to all political sides and parties involved in issues. We have to be transparent and unbiased to be the best fourth branch of government we can be. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is that the media is run by human beings. We can't help but have biases. Our responsibility is to police ourselves. Presenting two sides doesn't always prevent bias. There are many sides of a story. The only thing we can do is be thorough in our research and present the story as fairly as possible. We also need our editors to be more vigilant in catching biased stories before they make it to the public.

    ReplyDelete